Friday, August 5, 2011

Old People have Good Intentions

So I'm at the beginning of my career and I was unemployed for a while after college and even now I'm looking for a job that sucks a little less. Most people I'm close to know this. This is one of the biggest things that bugs me about people:

WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ABOUT THINGS THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT?

I know my Father-In-Law is trying to help but he has worked for the same company for the majority of his career, he hasn't actually had to find a job from scratch in decades. My Mother-In-Law has never held a professional position. Why do they like to give me advice? (I know they are trying to be helpful, they are very sweet people) I've had my resume reviewed by HR professionals and I've been to mock interviews with HR professionals. I know it's better to have a referral, do you know somebody?, then keep your advice to yourself.

If you have not had to find a job in the recent down economy (please save your Great Depression story), then it's simply not the same as your good old days example.
I am a professional person, I follow job hunting websites, and I dress nicely for interviews. I have gotten interviews with my resume and I have gotten jobs with my interview ability.

So please I'm doing just find, yes I don't get a job offer every time I sit for an interview. I am also aware that there are CPAs with 10 years of experience that are begging for work. I am not at the top of the experience pile. In reality if you are interviewing and making a real effort in your job search you are probably doing just fine and what it comes down to is luck. For all my friends out there in the same boat, I understand. These old people like to think they have all the answers but in reality they haven't faced these types of challenges ever.

Last little rant, and fun little story.

When I was in Rexburg, during college, I would drive to Boise for interviews hoping to get a job before we actually moved. I interviewed with a company and didn't get the position. Well Lorry and I moved to Boise with no job and it turned out the Bishop of my ward was one of the founders of the company I had interviewed for. When we were meeting with him on our first Sunday he asked about my employment and I had told him about not having a job and that I had applied to his company and didn't get the job. He started to spew job hunting advice! I knew he was really just trying to make himself feel better so I just let him spew. It all came from a guy that went to BYU, then Harvard, then worked on Wall Street for a decade and then started his own company a couple decades ago. So he had to look for a career position maybe once or twice 30 years ago. Please save your advice, just give some bland support ("Good Luck") and change the topic (unless you actually know somebody).

No comments:

Post a Comment