Saturday, July 23, 2011

I love/hate confusion, and really so do you.

On Tuesday, I will be taking the CPA exam. I'm very nervous as it will be my first one and I am excited, this is the crowning achievement of a accountant's formal education. I have been thinking about these credential and I know a lot of professions have a similar credential that distinguishes people as competent in their field.

I was thinking about it and I know for CPA we might complain about things being too complicated, but in reality it's what we get paid for. We organize the complex. I know other professions are the same way. When I hear congress suggest a simpler tax code, in the back of my mind I think I don't want that, I want it so confusing that no one can do it on their own. In reality I know that congress will never actually make it simpler, even if they do try, I'm sure it will be more confusing. So I'm normally only about 2% worried.

Actually congress as just established a law stating that people that sign off on tax returns as paid tax preparers will have to pass an exam to do so. It should roll out either in 2012 or 2013. CPAs are exempt of course and I just think to myself cha-ching. 

1 comment: