Tuesday, May 22, 2012

New client and New books

So first off my summer is going to be mainly in Harrisburg, PA. This is where my summer client is. It's a really cool client, they are a government lender so I get government experience and lending experience in one shot. Also this will be the only client that I have been on for a long time that we are actually retaining next year. Some of the companies I've audited have been acquired over the last year, so who every audits the parent company gets the job. Oh, well. Hopefully this will be my client.

I'll be staying in a hotel three nights a week, which means I will get a ton of Marriott points. I eventually plan on saving up enough of these so that I can live in a hotel for a year. Housing cost so much money out here so a year without having to pay rent sounds even more appealing then the down side of living in a hotel. I always try to remind myself, I lived in my car for a while in college, I can make anything work. Also it's nice to live in a hotel because A. my commute is shorter and B. my home is always cleaned. Lorry puts me in a bind, she's not the best house keeper, yet she doesn't like it when it's dirty. Also she doesn't like it when I clean or the idea of me paying someone to come clean. So basically my house is dirty unless someone important is coming over, or Lorry is out of the house long enough for me to clean everything.

Alright, other than that. I've been really into some business books I've read recently. I finished start something that matters by Blake Mycoskie and Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. I enjoyed the Steve Jobs book even though I'm not very interested in Macs, but enjoy entrepreneurs, also a senior manager I work with was reading it so I figured I'd pick up some talking points. I really enjoyed the book and came away really respecting Jobs' passion for awesome products. It also reviled what I knew all along, he was a human being. He was wierd and honestly on the brink of failure with Next & Pixar. I think if not for Steve Wozniak there would have been no Steve Jobs'. I also think this work in reverse as well no Jobs equals no Woz. Overall I enjoyed the book.

I also read Guy Kawasaki reality check lately, which I really enjoyed, he's a Mac-boy that is not a venture capital guy that gives a lot of business advice in Silicon Valley. I'll get to that one later.

So one of the most influential books I've ever read was Banker for the Poor by  Muhammad Yunus. If you don't know this book or this man's story, you should get it at your local library or buy it. He was a pioneer of micro-financing for poor people. I also read this book about the time of a BYU-I entrepreneur day where one of the people came from Wikipedia and he talked about business that has a purpose in changing the world for the better. This created an entire new perspective of business for me. I love the idea of starting a business that changes the world for good. Which leads me to my favorite recent book Start Something that Matter by Blake Mycoskie. He is the founder of Tom's shoes. I bet you know someone that owns a pair. Blake started a company that sells shoes and everytime someone buys a pair of shoes Tom's shoes will donate a pair of shoes to a poor kid in Latin America or Africa. This book is awesome because Blake tells a bunch of stories about companies that are trying to change the world for good such as method cleaning products, charity water, and FEED project. He also gives some really good business advice about why doing good is go for the person in need, for the giver, and for business.

I can't wait to be a millionaire so I can leave the jobs where I feel cool and go to the jobs where I can help other people. I actually always look up the executives at every job I work on to figure out where they started out. It seems to be 50% come from public accounting and every time I discover one of them comes out of public accounting I get a little happy inside, because I know someday that will be me.

Well that's my update on things. Reality Check also re-committed myself to writing in a blog, because it's in a blog format and Guy encourages people to write in their blog even if their dog is the only one that reads. I also know I should be keeping a journal, so I'll try a little harder. Also I feel like I'm writing to the Universe when I post a blog online.

So goodnight Universe, may your stars always shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment